All prescriptions are now electronic
ALL prescriptions are now sent electronically to your usual pharmacy. Do not come to the surgery.
If you are eligible to use our Dispensary in Girton we will send your prescriptions there unless you have told us otherwise.
If you have not yet chosen a regular pharmacy, we will still send your prescription to the electonic prescription service. You will be able to go to any pharmacy in England and get your prescripton.
You can set your "nominated pharmacy" in person at any pharmacy, or by using our online portal.
Requesting Repeat Prescriptions
Repeat prescriptions are those which you and the doctor have agreed you should take long-term.
- Using our online portal. To have access to this service please register for it in person at reception. You will need to bring photo ID
- Using the repeat prescription slip on the right hand side of the prescription (remember to tick the items you require) and return it to us
- In writing (please remember to include your name, address and date of birth)
- Most local pharmacies will send prescription request forms to the surgery on your behalf. Please note this process takes longer as it takes them time to deliver the requests to us
For safety reasons
- we cannot take requests by telephone
- we cannot take requests by email
If you have regular repeat prescriptions which do not change between your surgery reviews, please do consider requesting a 'batch' of prescriptions.
NHS England have strongly advised us to prescribe only one-month's supply of medication on each prescription, to help reduce waste.
However if we know you will need to take the medication longer, we can authorise a "batch" of prescriptions, which will allow you to continue to collect them each month from the pharmacy, without needing to request them through us. When the batch is running out, your pharmacy will prompt you to seek a review with us.
Repeat prescriptions take 2 WORKING days
- The prescription will be ready for collection 48 hours, i.e. two working days (excluding weekends and bank holidays) after we receive the request
- If you have submitted your request via a pharmacy you will need to allow an extra working day for your request to be processed in order for the pharmacy to deliver the prescription to us
- If your repeat prescription falls between Christmas and New Year please make sure you put your request in well before the Christmas period
If you have run out, your usual pharmacy can often provide an emergency supply.
If you do need to contact us, call the prescriptions clerk after 11.30 on 01223 346127.
For people who live more than a mile, as the crow flies, from the nearest pharmacy, we can dispense the actual medication from our Dispensary at Pepys Way in Girton. This includes people who live in the villages of Girton (only those living north of the A14 bridge), Oakington, Dry Drayton and Coton.
National legislation prevents us from offering this service to anybody who lives within a mile of their nearest pharmacy.
Click here for more information.
How much do prescriptions cost?
NHS Prescriptions in England
There is a charge (the NHS prescription charge) for each item on your prescription. This is payable to the pharmacy or dispensary on collection of your medication.
However, in England, around 90% of prescription items are dispensed free. You may be eligible for free prescriptions are
- on specific benefits or through the NHS Low Income Scheme
- are under 16y of age
- are aged 16-18y and in full time education
- are aged 60y or more
- have certain medical conditions and have a medical exemption certificate
- are pregnant and have a pregnancy exemption certificate, available from your midwife
Help with NHS Prescription Charges
For those on regular medication, but have to pay for their prescriptions, the NHS offers prepayment certificates.
These will work out cheaper for you if you have
- have 4 or more items in 3 months
- have more than 14 items in 12 months
Click here to find out more about NHS prescription pre-payment certificates
Telephone advice and order line 0845 850 0030